Newfoundland & Labrador
The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Newfoundland and Labrador is one of the smallest provincial accounting bodies in Canada and currently has more than 700 members.
Our Mission is to:
Our mission is to uphold public confidence in the CA profession within Newfoundland and Labrador by acting in the public interest and helping our members excel.
Our Vision is to:
We are Canada’s most valued, internationally recognized profession of leaders in senior management, advisory, financial, tax and assurance roles.
The Institute fulfills its mission through its 11-member Board. The ICANL has a professional staff of approximately 4 .
The Institute serves the following purposes:
- To serve and protect the interests of the general public in all matters relating to the conduct of Chartered Accountants
- To promote and increase the knowledge, skill and proficiency of Chartered Accountants
- To establish and maintain high standards of integrity, honour, and professional competence among Chartered Accountants licensed by the Institute through the development and updating of the Rules of Professional Conduct.
- To furnish information regarding the profession f chartered accountancy and its practice and methods in Newfoundland and Labrador to members and the general public.
By provincial authority, the Institute:
- Certifies, licenses, and renews licenses of individual CAs.
- Develops and updates the Rules of Professional Conduct to which all Chartered Accountants licensed in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador are expected to adhere.
- Receives and investigates complaints received against Chartered Accountants.
- Undertakes disciplinary actions against those Chartered Accountants who have been charged with professional misconduct.
- Takes enforcement action against members who have been found guilty of violations of the Institute’s statutes, regulations and rules of professional conduct.
- Ensures members maintain their professional competency by monitoring and enforcing compliance with continuing education requirements.
- Conducts practice inspections of its members involved in public accounting to ensure compliance with the Institute’s professional standards.
In addition to performing its regulatory role The Institute provides a number of member services to Chartered Accountants in the province including the following:
- Offering of professional development courses to members in public practice, industry and government
- Luncheons, breakfast series and information sessions to provide members with updates as to professional standards and other topics of interested to the Chartered Accounting profession.
- Provision of member advisory services.
- Coordination of various special interest groups such as a Small Practices Committee.
- Creation of bi-monthly newsletters to update members on issues impacting the Institute and the CA Profession.
members of MRA
bodies. Learn More
for senior professionals
Earning my Canadian CA gave me a globally recognized designation that bridges the gap between theory and practice, enhancing the value I can provide Read more
- Abbas Barodawalla, CA, BC Housing, Home country: India
With my Canadian CA, I can be whatever I want to be in the future. Read more
- Jannet C. Taruc, CA, Grant Thornton, BC, Home country: Philippines
Becoming a Canadian CA has allowed me to bridge from my previous working experience given me ways to leverage my background, and opened the doors to an exciting career progression in Canada. Read more
- Joe Lai, CA, Senior Manager, Assurance Services, Ernst & Young LLP, Calgary, AB, Home country: Singapore
The strong reputation of the CA designation, both in Canada and internationally, meant a lot of doors were open to me Read more
- Daniel Labarca, D+H Group LLP, Home country: Venezuela
Government, academic and other resources
For more resources for immigrants, click here