On May 16, 2012, the Chartered Professional Accountants Act creating the Ordre des comptables professionnels agréés du Québec (Ordre des CPA) came into force, joining together the three accounting orders that existed in Quebec up to that date (CA, CGA and CMA). Members of the new order in Quebec shall, as the case may be, use the CPA, CA; CPA, CGA or CPA, CMA designation. If you wish to become a CA in the province of Quebec, you will be granted the CPA, CA or CPA designation, depending on when you qualify for membership in the Ordre des CPA. You may also be issued a public accountancy permit depending on the path you choose.
Note that documents and hyperlinks on our website that mention the Ordre des comptables agréés du Québec now refer to the Ordre des CPA du Québec.
The Ordre des comptables agréés du Québec (the Ordre) is one of the provincial accounting bodies in Canada and currently has close to 18,000 members. Approximately 48% are in public practice while 52% work in industry, government and education. The Ordre serves the following purposes:
- To protect the interests of its members and the general public with respect to the practice of the chartered accountant profession;
- To cultivate, promote, and disseminate knowledge and information about its role and services;
- To establish and maintain high standards of integrity, honour, and character among chartered accountants entered on the Roll of the Ordre;
- To furnish information regarding accountancy and its practice and methods to members and the general public.
By provincial authority, the Ordre:
- Qualifies provincial candidates for the Uniform Examination UFE;
- Certifies CA candidates, and grants and renews CA practice permits;
- Supervises chartered accountants who, under the Chartered Accountants Act, are qualified to practice public accountancy;
- Receives and investigates complaints;
- Takes enforcement action against members who violate the Ordre’s statutes and regulations;
- Monitors compliance with continuing education requirements.
The Ordre fulfills its mission through its more than 20 technical and administrative committees, and a 29-member Board of Directors which is supported by its five-member Executive Committee. The Ordre’s administrative operations are ensured by approximately 90 professional staff.
Our purpose, as established by Quebec's Professional Code, consists in ensuring the protection of the public.
members of MRA
bodies. Learn More
for senior professionals
Earning my Canadian CA gave me a globally recognized designation that bridges the gap between theory and practice, enhancing the value I can provide Read more
- Abbas Barodawalla, CA, BC Housing, Home country: India
With my Canadian CA, I can be whatever I want to be in the future. Read more
- Jannet C. Taruc, CA, Grant Thornton, BC, Home country: Philippines
Becoming a Canadian CA has allowed me to bridge from my previous working experience given me ways to leverage my background, and opened the doors to an exciting career progression in Canada. Read more
- Joe Lai, CA, Senior Manager, Assurance Services, Ernst & Young LLP, Calgary, AB, Home country: Singapore
The strong reputation of the CA designation, both in Canada and internationally, meant a lot of doors were open to me Read more
- Daniel Labarca, D+H Group LLP, Home country: Venezuela
Government, academic and other resources
For more resources for immigrants, click here